The MdS is run annually at the end of March or beginning of April. The good news is that we have 500+ places for each event. The bad news is that interest is very high, so these places are usually booked well in advance. On the bright side, you have more time to a) train b) raise a serious amount of money for your chosen charity!
To compete in the Marathon des Sables you:
1. Accept the rules, which govern the race.
2. Meet all deadlines for payments.
3. Meet all deadlines for completion of registration forms must (an online form to be completed after registration).
4. Keep your contact details up to date.
5. Provide a sealed letter addressed to the Medical Director if you are undergoing long-term treatment for any chronic disease.
6. Provide an ECG and medical certificate signed by a doctor. This is to be presented on the day prior to the start of the race.
7. Take out insurance that will (as a minimum) cover you for cancellation in case of illness or injury prior to the race.
What To Do Next
In a word: prepare. Prepare. Prepare. Prepare. Then prepare some more! Principally, this involves getting yourself fit, getting your equipment right and getting yourself sponsored. You need to start training and preparing your body with the right diet in October – six months before the race. There are plenty of books and websites which will advise you on how to prepare nutritionally for adventure racing. Check out the pages on this site for more info! www.runultra.co.uk has dozens of articles and guides on training, nutrition and kit selection for MdS.