Please note that in order for your place to be accepted on the Marathon des Sables, you must read and agree to the following terms and conditions…
RunUltra Ltd act as agents on behalf of ATLANTIDE ORGANISATION INTERNATIONALE (AOI) in respect of the event, the Marathon Des Sables. We take no responsibility for the event itself, its organisation or operation. AOI act as a principal in this matter and your contract is with them.
The MdS is run annually in March/April and is a multistage race of variable length – usually 230-260 km. The race organisers reserve the right to alter the length and format of the race at their discretion and at any time.
We are limited to the number of places available to persons residing in the following countries:
Competitors have the choice of entering as either individuals or as teams, a team being three or more members. Team members pay an additional registration fee (usually £100 per entrant) and in return a team ranking is recorded during the race so long as the team continues to have a minimum of three members.
We are not in a position to accurately predict entry costs beyond one year in advance as these are subject to organiser fees, travel and accommodation costs and arrangements, exchange rates and taxes . We guarantee to confirm final costings within 10 months prior to the race date.
However, we do undertake to release you from your commitment to your payment and place (if that is your wish) and have a complete refund of all monies paid, if the costs of the event increase cumulatively, more than 10% per year between your year of registration and year of competition.
Payments for the event are typically split into an initial registration fee of £500, plus two further payments in the 8 months leading up to the event – normally in the September of the year prior to the event and the preceeding December, although these dates will be confirmed to you after registration. For 2016, entry costs were £3,850 for individual entrants and £3,950 for team entrants. So we would expect 2017 costs not to exceed £4000/£4100 for team entrants.
What is included in the fee
– Return travel UK – Morocco (closest comercial airport to point of departure)
– Transfers (arrival point / race start / hotel / departure point)
– Most meals before and after the event
– Hotel accommodation after the event
– Race entry fee
– During the race: water (rationed), medical team, ground assistance, minimal insurance, basic email facilities
– Individual rankings, team rankings for registered teams
– Medal & t-shirt for those that complete the course + finishers certificate and downloadable film of the event
What is not included
– Food during the race
– Any equipment (except minimal survival kit)
– Cooking fuel, if required. (Typically purchased from the organisers 2-4 months before the race, as fuel CAN NOT be taken on the plane).
– Comprehensive insurance (e.g. to cover cancellation, loss of items – we strongly recommend this)
– Training costs
– Doctor’s fees (e.g for E.C.G and blood tests)
– Cash for extra MdS souvenirs or drinks and last minute purchases at the hotel
– Acceptance of these terms and conditions of booking
– Acceptance of the rules that apply to the race
– Deadlines for payments and all payment instalments must be met as itemised
– Deadlines for completion of registration forms must be kept (An online form to be completed after registration, followed by signed paper forms)
– Your contact details must be kept up-to-date
– A sealed letter addressed to the Medical Director for anyone undergoing long term treatment for a chronic disease.
– An ECG and medical certificate signed by a doctor to be presented on the day prior to the race start.
You can cancel your place at any time by letting us know in writing to our registered address by recorded delivery in addition to email confirmation. Cancellation fees will apply as follows:
For confirmed places:
– Deposit of £500 (non-refundable under any circumstances)
– After 01 September (or 2nd instalment due date, if earlier) prior to the race, all payments received to date are forfeited (deposit and 2nd Instalment)
– After 15 December (or Final instalment due date, if earlier) prior to the race: loss of full amount
We strongly advise all competitors to take out insurance covering cancellation
In the event of cancellation of the race by the organisers, AOI (the organisers) undertake to reimburse payments already received on your behalf for the race entry portion of the event. All other paid funds, including flight, transfers, accommodation and administration will not be refunded.
We operate a waitlist to fill additional places that may be made available to us by the organisers A.O.I or by cancellations and dropouts. We maintain one list for every entry year, the size of which varies for each year based upon our experience of cancellation numbers between registration and the event itself. Waitlist numbers are currently between 100-120 entrants, however the size of this may vary according to the size of of the main list. To be included on the waiting list you are required to make a deposit payment of £500. This deposit will be refunded (less an administrative fee of £50 to cover our costs) if you ask to be removed from the waiting list. If we are able to offer you a confirmed place which you accept, this deposit becomes part of the first payment and is no longer refundable. Any other payments due at the time you accept the confirmed place are also to be made immediately. Over the past few years all waiting list places have been converted to confirmed entries in good time.
Since the waitling list depends on cancellations, the time at which we can offer you a confirmed place (if at all) is not possible to predict with any accuracy. We are not able to fill any cancelled places after the beginning of October preceeding the race, so at this point anyone remaining on the waiting list will have their deposits refunded.
Your Financial Protection
When you buy an ATOL protected flight or flight inclusive holiday from us you will receive an ATOL Certificate. This lists what is financially protected, where you can get information on what this means for you and who to contact if things go wrong.
We, or the suppliers identified on your ATOL Certificate, will provide you with the services listed on the ATOL Certificate (or a suitable alternative). In some cases, where neither we nor the supplier are able to do so for reasons of insolvency, an alternative ATOL holder may provide you with the services you have bought or a suitable alternative (at no extra cost to you). You agree to accept that in those circumstances the alternative ATOL holder will perform those obligations and you agree to pay any money outstanding to be paid by you under your contract to that alternative ATOL holder. However, you also agree that in some cases it will not be possible to appoint an alternative ATOL holder, in which case you will be entitled to make a claim under the ATOL scheme (or your credit card issuer where applicable).
If we, or the suppliers identified on your ATOL certificate, are unable to provide the services listed (or a suitable alternative, through an alternative ATOL holder or otherwise) for reasons of insolvency, the Trustees of the Air Travel Trust may make a payment to (or confer a benefit on) you under the ATOL scheme. You agree that in return for such a payment or benefit you assign absolutely to those Trustees any claims which you have or may have arising out of or relating to the non-provision of the services, including any claim against us, the travel agent (or your credit card issuer where applicable). You also agree that any such claims may be re-assigned to another body, if that other body has paid sums you have claimed under the ATOL scheme.
All the flights and flight-inclusive holidays (the Marathon des Sables package) on this website are financially protected by the ATOL scheme. When you pay you will be supplied with an ATOL Certificate. Please ask for it and check to ensure that everything you booked (flights, hotels and other services) is listed on it. Please see our booking conditions for further information or for more information about financial protection and the ATOL Certificate go to:
We wish you the best of luck with your entry application.
The MdS Team